Home > Others > Singapore Airshow Newsroom > 2016 > Singapore Airshow 2016: Riding on emerging opportunities, dialogues and technologies
Singapore Airshow 2016: Riding on emerging opportunities, dialogues and technologies
14 FEBRUARY 2016
SINGAPORE, 14 February 2016 – The Singapore Airshow, Asia's largest and one of the most important aerospace and defence exhibitions in the world, has evolved and expanded since its first edition in 2008 to become a key platform to tap into emerging opportunities, engage in dialogues and showcase technologies. The event returns from 16 to 21 February 2016 with a renewed focus on driving global aviation industry trends and developments, while serving as the key gateway for global players looking to tap into the fast growing Asia Pacific region.
The event will see the participation of an impressive list of top global aerospace and defence companies. 75% of the more than 1,000 participating companies from some 50 countries are returning exhibitors, including 65 of the top 100 global aerospace companies. France has been designated as the Feature Country for Singapore Airshow 2016, given its thriving aerospace and defence sectors.
Country representation is robust at this year’s edition, featuring 20 country groups and pavilions, of which the Philippines and Indonesia country pavilions are participating in the Singapore Airshow for the first time. Returning country groups and pavilions include Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, the Netherlands, the Russian Federation, Singapore, Switzerland, Romania, United Kingdom and USA.
In addition, the Singapore Airshow is pleased to welcome new exhibitors including Aviage Systems, BSB Aviation, CWT Defence Services, Dornier Seawings, the Eurasia Partnership of Aerospace Cluster, Roketsan – the first exhibitor from Turkey in the show’s history and SLM Solutions.
The Singapore Airshow also continues to stay relevant by addressing industry demands through the popular Business Forums – where the buyers get a chance to share their perspectives. This year, the Business Forums will focus on the following areas: Emerging Technologies, Training & Simulation, Asia market trends as well as the collaboration opportunities between France and Singapore.
Inspiring the Next Generation – Education Day & the Singapore Airshow Aero Campus (SAAC)
Singapore Airshow 2016 will see the launch of the inaugural Singapore Airshow Aero Campus (SAAC) as part of our Education Day which is held from 18 to 19 Feb 2016. Organised by Experia Events, with the support of Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS), Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB), Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA) and the Association of Aerospace Industries (Singapore) (AAIS), the SAAC is a new initiative designed to foster deeper interest and provide insights, from exploring higher education to embarking on rewarding careers, in the aviation field.
The Singapore Airshow offers a unique platform for thought leadership through its high-level conferences, forums, and co-located events. It brings together leading industry players, government and military chiefs to engage in dialogues, exchange ideas, and seek solutions and strategies to advance the interests of the global aerospace sector. These include:
- The Singapore Airshow Aviation Leadership Summit (SAALS), which is the definitive global aviation conference in Asia that offers a unique platform for industry players to engage government officials in an exchange of ideas to advance the strategic interests of the aviation sector.
- SAALS brings together key stakeholders in aviation, including top government representatives, civil aviation authorities and senior executives of airlines, airline operators, aircraft manufacturers as well as the heads of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and International Air Transport Association (IATA) to exchange valuable insights, network and strengthen the nexus between governments and the aviation industry.
- SAALS is jointly organised by the Singapore Ministry of Transport (MOT), Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS), IATA and Experia Events.
- A*STAR Aerospace Technology Leadership Forum 2016
- The Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) will host the Aerospace Technology Leadership Forum 2016, the fourth of its series, in conjunction with Singapore Airshow 2016.
- The Forum will see leaders from major aerospace companies convene for an inspiring R&D-leadership forum in Singapore. Eminent speakers from leading commercial aircraft manufacturers, engine manufacturers, systems and components houses and aviation maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) companies will share their insights on the challenges and directions of research and development.
- Singapore Aerospace Technology and Engineering Conference (SATEC) 2016
- SATEC is the premier aviation conference that is held in conjunction with the Singapore Airshow. It is a platform for researchers, aviation operators and practising aviation engineers to present and discuss key developments and advancements in aerospace technology and engineering
- SATEC 2016 is jointly organised by Singapore Institute of Aerospace Engineers (SIAE) and Air Engineering and Logistics Department (AELD) of the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF)
The Singapore Airshow has become a venue where some of the most anticipated and latest developments in aerospace technologies will be showcased. This year, visitors can expect to experience some of the innovations and specialised solutions in expanded as well as new zones.
- The new Aerospace Emerging Technologies Zone is a platform for exhibitors to showcase their products and offerings in two broad categories – Aerospace Manufacturing and Aerospace IT. This is a timely initiative as companies increasingly seek innovative breakthroughs in technologies and industrial process improvements to stay ahead in this fast-changing business environment.
- The Training and Simulation Zone is an expansion of the Aviation Training Zone which was launched in 2014. The zone will showcase education, training and simulation technologies for pilots, flight-deck and cabin crew, aerospace and maintenance engineers, technicians and air traffic controllers
“The continued support of returning and new exhibitors, together with the range of new programme elements to nurture the next generation will reinforce the Singapore Airshow’s role as the strategic platform of choice for key industry players to tap on emerging markets, showcase their latest products and technologies, and forge partnerships in the thriving Asia Pacific region,” said Mr Leck Chet Lam, Managing Director, Experia Events. “We are continually working to ensure that the Singapore Airshow will remain relevant as a must-attend event on the global aviation calendar, and are looking forward to an even more exciting edition this year.”
A Spectacular Show in the Sky
In 2014, close to 100,000 public visitors attended the Singapore Airshow during the public days to soak in the excitement of the spectacular performances by the flying display performances and view some of the latest aircraft from around the world on display at the event. This year’s programme promises to be just as exciting and highlights include:
- The Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF)’s integrated aerial display team, comprising an F-15SG fighter jet and an AH-64D Apache attack helicopter, will perform 11 exciting manoeuvres at the Singapore Airshow 2016, showcasing precision and coordination between two different aircraft types of different manoeuvrability and capabilities. Their mesmerising routine includes the Vertical Punch, a new manoeuvre that will be performed for the first time.
- In addition, the Black Eagles from the Republic of Korea Air Force, known for their jawdropping aerobatic stunts, will be back to thrill the crowds with three more manoeuvres added to their 2014 repertoire.
- Visitors can also expect to see the France Air Force’s Dassault Rafale, the U.S. Air Force’s C-17 Globemaster III and F-16C/D Fighting Falcon, and the Sukhoi Su-30MKM from the Royal Malaysian Air Force, engage in the adrenaline-fuelled flying displays
Static Aircraft Display
The RSAF will also showcase 11 military assets, including a Black Knight F-16C aircraft in its familiar red and white paint scheme incorporating the national symbols of the crescent moon and five stars, which will be on display at the Singapore Airshow for the first time.
Other key highlights of the static aircraft display include two USAF F-22 stealth fighters on display together for the first time at the event, and the Airbus A400M – a modern military transport plane using the latest fly-by-wire flight control system – which is making its debut at the Airshow.
Visitors will be able to see luxury business jets from Bombardier and Embraer, as well as Gulfstream’s newest flagship, the G650ER, on display, while new helicopter models including the Airbus H145 and Bell 505 will be taking part in the show for the first time.
In addition, Finmeccanica will showcase its Project Zero, a hybrid tilt-rotor technology demonstrator; the electric-powered aircraft that can take off and land like a helicopter but fly like an airplane; while the Royal Australian Air Force’s Alenia C-27J Spartan battlefield airlift aircraft, which is being deployed outside of Australia for the first time, will also be making an appearance at the Airshow.
For more information, visit www.singaporeairshow.com.