Home > Others > Singapore Airshow Newsroom > 2017 > Singapore Airshow 2018 Throws Spotlight on Aviation Industry Transformation
Singapore Airshow 2018 Throws Spotlight on Aviation Industry Transformation
06 DECEMBER 2017
Singapore, 6 December 2017 – The Singapore Airshow will take place from 6 – 11 February 2018 amidst exciting but challenging times for the global aviation industry – rising demand for air travel is powering robust growth, with a record 4 billion air passengers expected to fly this year. This will nearly double over the next 20 years to reach 7.8 billion passengers by 2036(1) . At the same time, technology innovation and digitalisation continue to disrupt traditional business models, processes, and relationships, driving transformation across different parts of the aviation industry.
The Singapore Airshow has established itself as a strategic platform for regulators, airlines, manufacturers, entrepreneurs and other key stakeholders to chart the industry’s growth trajectory. As Asia’s largest and one of the most important aerospace and defence events in the world, the Airshow will also play a crucial role in connecting opportunities, driving change and shaping the future of the global aviation industry.
Boeing(2) and Airbus(3) predict that the Asia-Pacific region will account for 39% to 41% of total new global aircraft deliveries by 2036. The Singapore Airshow serves as the key gateway to tap into the wealth of potential opportunities in the Asia-Pacific – the world’s fastest growing region for the aerospace and defence industry. These opportunities include:
- The latest products and services in key areas like cybersecurity, unmanned aviation systems, avionics and connected aircraft, predictive maintenance, additive manufacturing and aircraft health monitoring will be showcased by over 1,000 participating companies from some 50 countries that have confirmed their attendance at the Airshow.
- Networking with key government and defence officials, and senior commercial executives, through the Airshow’s VIP Delegation Programme.
- Engaging with returning exhibitors including 65 of the top global aerospace companies such as Airbus, Bell Helicopter, Boeing, Bombardier, Embraer, Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce, ST Engineering, Thales and UTC Aerospace Systems.
- Meeting new and notable exhibitors like Aviation Learn, Boom Supersonic, Honda Aircraft Company, LOGIC, Marposs, IHSE Asia, WEARE Group, Wright Brothers Science and Technologies Development Co. Ltd.
The Singapore Airshow’s high-level conference and co-located events offer a strategic platform for stakeholders from across the global aviation ecosystem to drive change.
Singapore Airshow Aviation Leadership Summit (SAALS) 2018
- To be held from 4 – 5 February 2018 at the Pan Pacific Singapore, the Singapore Airshow Aviation Leadership Summit (SAALS) 2018, which is focused on “Reimagining Aviation's Future”, will seek to address both the challenges and opportunities arising from the continued demand for air travel, and provide a platform for civil aviation authorities, governments and airlines to discuss a sustainable approach to future growth in air travel demand.
- SAALS 2018 is jointly organised by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS), Experia Events, International Air Transport Association (IATA) and the Singapore Ministry of Transport (MOT).
Singapore Aerospace Technology and Engineering Conference (SATEC 2018)
Jointly organised by the Singapore Institute of Aerospace Engineers (SIAE) and Air Engineering and Logistics Department (AELD) of the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF), SATEC is the premier aviation conference that is held in conjunction with the Singapore Airshow and RSAF50. It is a platform for researchers, aviation operators and practising aviation engineers to present and discuss key developments and advancements in aerospace technology and engineering. In line with Singapore’s SMART Nation vision, the theme of SATEC 2018 is Shaping Aerospace Through Innovation.
A*STAR Aerospace Technology Leadership Forum
Held in conjunction with Singapore Airshow 2018, the Forum will bring together leaders and speakers from original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) of commercial aircraft, engines and components, as well as aerospace maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) companies, to share their insights on the directions of research and development in the aerospace industry.
Back by popular demand, the Business Forums at Singapore Airshow 2018 will shine the spotlight on key challenges facing the global aviation industry, focusing on key trends like aviation cybersecurity, digital transformation and the impact of autonomous vehicles.
1. Asia Business Forum
Held in partnership with ICF International, the Singapore Airshow Asia Business Forum will examine the opportunities and challenges for MRO providers in Asia Pacific. Participants will have the opportunity to network with MRO experts as they share insights about the current burgeoning growth found in Asia Pacific. Hear from key international aerospace buyers, government agencies and industry leaders, as they discuss about the opportunities, challenges, solutions and strategies in meeting the strong demands in the MRO industry.
2. Aviation Cybersecurity Business Forum
Cybersecurity is widely recognised as a top priority with 95% of airlines and 96% of airports planning to invest in major programmes or R&D on cybersecurity initiatives over the next three years. The Aviation Cybersecurity Business Forum, which is co-organised by the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), will focus on how the global aviation ecosystem should mitigate the growing complexity and sophistication of cyberattacks, and the risks resulting from the increasing integration between airline, airport and aviation authority IT infrastructure. Prominent cybersecurity researchers and private sector experts will also share their experiences and insights on the emerging aviation cybersecurity risks.
3. Emerging Technologies and Innovation Business Forum
Held in partnership with the Association of Aerospace Industries (Singapore), and coorganised by GIFAS, the French aerospace industries association to mark 2018, which has been declared France-Singapore Year of Innovation. This well-received forum will focus on Industry 4.0 with digitalisation driving greater efficiency in the areas of data management and security, robotics, industrial internet of things and artificial intelligence, and its applicability in the various sectors of MRO/Manufacturing
4. The Autonomous Revolution: The Race is On Business Forum
Co-organised with leading global management consulting firm Oliver Wyman, this forum will highlight the progressive switchover of different transportation modes that will result in more change in the industry in the next 10 years than in the last 60. Autonomy will blur traditional frontiers across vehicles. It will create new usages in mobility, defence & security, and supply chains. It will disrupt traditional value chains, generate new business models and put industry leaders at risk, as specialised start-ups and digital giants compete for market share in this fast-evolving space.
Shaping the Future
To enhance the role Singapore plays as the leading aviation hub in the region and to further strengthen its aviation ecosystem, the Singapore Airshow is committed to building a pipeline of talent to drive industry growth and ensure the industry remains future-ready. Through the Singapore Airshow, key industry players and stakeholders form partnerships that can help shape the future of the industry by building talent and capabilities through initiatives such as Education Day and the Singapore Airshow Aero Campus (SAAC).
Spread over two days of activities, Education Day is designed to foster interest and provide insights in this multibillion-dollar industry for tertiary students through tours of the exhibition and aircraft displays.
The Singapore Airshow Aero Campus (SAAC)
- After a successful debut in 2016, SAAC will return in 2018 with an expanded focus to provide a holistic platform for the aerospace and aviation industry to nurture the next generation of industry professionals.
- Supported by the Association of Aerospace Industries (Singapore), Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, Economic Development Board and Workforce Singapore, the SAAC aims to inspire secondary school and tertiary students, as well as full-time national servicemen to learn more about what the aviation and aerospace industry has to offer.
- Participants will be able to: a. Gain valuable insights from companies and educational institutions exhibiting at Singapore Airshow 2018. b. Experience the latest technologies and innovations during their exhibition tours. c. Come face-to-face with the most advanced commercial and military aircraft showcased at the static display and watch the aerobatic flying performances.
What’s Next @ Singapore Airshow
- Recognising the need to help our industry leverage on emerging innovations and technologies to drive future growth, the Airshow will be embracing one of the most exciting and dynamic segments in the aviation and aerospace industry – start-ups, through the launch of What’s Next @ Singapore Airshow.
- This start-up showcase is a new initiative to support these aspiring young companies who will get a chance to showcase their latest innovations, network with and pitch their business ideas and offerings to investors, accelerators and corporate partners at the show.
“Experia Events would like to extend our thanks for the extensive support for Singapore Airshow 2018 from the global ecosystem – stakeholders, partners, exhibitors and visitors,” said Mr Leck Chet Lam, Managing Director, Experia Events. “As technology innovation and digitalisation continue to disrupt the industry, my team and I are focused on curating the latest technologies, products and innovations to feature at the Airshow. This ensures that it remains not only relevant, but also addresses the key challenges and trends of tomorrow to give visitors a rewarding and enriching experience. We are also happy to share that the RSAF will be launching their 50th anniversary celebrations at the Singapore Airshow on 7 February 2018. More details about RSAF50 and the launch event at the Airshow will be shared by the RSAF at a press conference scheduled for 17 January 2018.”
Applications for Singapore Airshow Accreditation Now Open
Submit your application for Singapore Airshow 2018 media accreditation or blogger accreditation online before the closing date on Friday, 12 January 2018. Please refer to the official guidelines for more information.
(1) 20-Year Air Passenger Forecast, 24 Oct 2017, International Air Transport Association (IATA
(2) 2017 Boeing Pilot & Technician Outlook
(3) Airbus Global Market Forecast 2017-2036 “Growing Horizons